Saturday, April 23, 2005

Name Change

I doubt anyone even noticed this site existed yet, but I'm going to explain myself anyway.

Originally, I named this blog RPGDesigner. I was pressed for a cool name and fell back on what I knew. As I've been building up the site, though, Musashi's posting about Holistic Game Design came back to me and I went with that.

I've been working on the concepts (more recently the code) for Urilia for 6 years, now. Even before I knew I was going to create my own world, I was working on it. From day one, I knew there were some basic failures in the game I was playing. As I've learned and grown, I've been honing my solutions to those failures.

When I read the article on Holistic Game Design I came away realizing this was exactly what we were all about. My friends and I are creating a world with an eye to "the Big Picture". Any time a change is proposed, or something new introduced, we pick it apart from every direction and follow every path to its most logical conclusion. Anything that seems to encourage an established "bad" behaviour is modified or tossed out.

Anyway, that's what the blog is for (that...and to shamelessly promote my free UO shard, Urilia.) That is why you will only find links to other people's sites who seem to be of the same kind of mind set when it comes to world-building. Otherwise they were included because they still have something useful to contribute. OR, they were included as an example of the kind of world-building mentality that drives me crazy. Hey, you still have to keep an eye on what doesn't work, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home